It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:07 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Happy new year all
im still looking for an engine and gearbox set up I do have a working 411 box but happy for a complete system

or guidance to anyone fitting something different for inspiration can collect anywhere in the UK

cheers Tony

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:46 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Hi Tony.
are you looking for air cooled or water cooled, if you have a 411 box cant you just get a beetle engine fit to that, or are you looking for sumat a bit different, ??? hope you find what your looking for pal, what was fitted before, ???

regards mark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:16 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Hi Mark
my covin has a ford granada engine already in when I bought it this is clearly a beast of an engine its not doing the box much good ether im looking for a water cooled set up as the covin is piped up already but happy with a nice beetle set up
the car is a convertible needs to be a bit more refined then its the front set up to deal with if anyone has a setup that they like to sell id like to chat with them really want to get the car up and running
i alsi have a second soft top i like to sell or swap for a coupe

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:16 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

ah yes steve,s red cabby. 2.4 v6 that is a hefty lump, nice lump but heavy all the same, fingers crossed you find one, If I hear anything going I will drop you a pm, p.s that's a nice car that one.
Mark :smt012 :smt012

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 5:20 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Thanks Mark i want to get out and about
In it this year. Have you heard much about
A subaru set up. The car that steve built
Is very good indeed. Just not feeling the
Love for engine

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:48 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Hi Tony
Not had anything to do with the subi route, they are popular with the Vw world, and now have brought prices up, and availability down, great unit though, but back to radiator fitting issues, I heard they also fit the gearbox there is a company who supply parts to change box to two wheel drive and swop diff round for mounting in bugs ect. but they only use to supply parts for a certain year engine and box option ,not sure now, but you will have a great set up all correct, with no adapter plates between box n engine, which are around 1k . I haven't looked into this any more as this doesn't really interest me. the Vw air-cooled route is a great engine and suits the vehicle very well, however the price of some of these engines are ridiculous, for what they put out in power. and it doesn't end there with costs, carbs ,exhaust, it goes on and on. chris mills car has a fabulous looking engine with the Porsche fan kit, it is a t3 engine with 1835 barrels, and external cooler ,he has spent a lot of money on this and it suits the car to a T,
you have lots of choice basically, if I could give you any advice , get the lightest engine you can find, with enough power to enjoy it, don't over do the power and increase the weight as you aint guna be able to use it running a standard chassis and suspension.
all the best in your search.
many years back lots of covin owners swoped there air-cooled engine to water-cooled engines, as there were more power available from a standard lump rather than a standard t3 or t2 engine. now we have members going back to air-cooled due to more choice now and the car drives much better with a lighter engine in the back, again your choice, all the best