Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:51 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Paul106 wrote:
We are on the same wavelength, thats for sure. I started my race career in formula V. Finished up in a formula three car.

Only had a covin since last September so like you other chaps I will make it work, just getting to know it at this stage.

From a personal point of view I would prefer my wisbones all rosejointed to have full adjustment and no rubber bushes at all. (SINGLE SEATER STYLE )

Paul

hi paul re rose jointed arms, this still can be an option as the upper and lower arm are such that can be remanufactured from round seamless tube with rose joints, as long as you can get the ball joint tapers correct,
i dont see any reason why you cant replace the original ones, this hasnt been done due to time and cost and noise transmission with this type of arrangment. but in the future why not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:24 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

SPANNER wrote:
Heres a question,as this is a home made front axel system who approves
this for axel design weights say for purpose of sva or isva as is now !!!
because its not all of a doner vehicle :smt018 and will it need approval testing. :smt017

I checked this with our VI at vosa today. The suspension modification would not affect the sva just so long as it conforms to the regulations sharp edges/protrusions etc. Vosa have a brilliant inspection manual (black & white with no grey areas) ie :- testable item, method of inspection, reason for rejection, if its not there, IT PASSES!!!. If your unsure pass and advise. There are 2 reasons for rejection in the suspension section I could find, other than the obvious ball joints/bushes etc, they are :- Weakened structure allowing body or other components to foul a road wheel or would do so if laden. and :- Has a unsatisfactory modification seriously affecting its strength within 30cms of the suspension mounting. As Mark has pointed out you need a competent welder to fit the suspension frame, and you will have no problems. Hope this helps Regards Jeff

Post subject: re post
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 5:19 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt012 thanks jeff just the tickett , i didnt think we would have an issue as the suspension aready on the covin allows the wheel to fowl the inner wings anyway. the new set up will be far more adequate :smt012 :smt012 with plenty of room for other changes too unlike the t3 beam :smt012
am on hols for two weeks so wont be able to return any Q,s untill after 23rd may :smt012 hope you can wait, or contact jeff donely or dave iles on the forum if urgent :smt012 thanks agian

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 2:00 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Paul106 wrote:
From a personal point of view I would prefer my wisbones all rosejointed to have full adjustment and no rubber bushes at all. (SINGLE SEATER STYLE )

Cheers, this old forum is beginning to light up, Darren will be happy.

Paul

A word of caution on going all rose jointed matey - I re-built a GTM coupe when I was much younger (and keener) and due to issues with fine tuning the handling on a car which is effectively 2 mini front ends (ie wheels designed to be steerable at the back!) I did exactly that and replaced every ball joint and track rod end/bush with a rose jointed setup. Well this worked great initially BUT as I discovered to my cost our friend the rose joint does not take kindly to being forgotten about underneath a car that is thrashed around on a daily basis! Basically my rose joints all developed excessive play due to premature wear in less than 12 months!

I believe this was due to being exposed to dirt and grime through regular cycles of wet and dry conditions.

I think rose joints may be fine for track cars that are not everyday all weather transport but they didn't fair too well on my GTM that's for sure.

Who knows maybe I just sourced poor quality components at the time??

Anyway I eventually went back to bushes but used neoprene instead of rubber with good results. :smt017

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:55 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Couldn't agree more with those comments, in fact when I put my rose jointed wishbone idea to David prior to committing to the 928 set up, He pointed out that rose joints are ideally suited for racing cars, where they're checked over between meetings, but not so for anything in production, no matter how ''pure sports'' Another thing to bear in mind is vibration. Before putting my car back on the road with the MR2 set up, I intended to replace every bush with polyurathane. After contrary advise off someone, plus a ride in his car, I'll be sticking to standard joints, as they make for a unpleasant ride. I would assume rose joints would have the same effect. But Hey Oh what ever floats your boat. Regards Jeff

Post subject: re post
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 4:39 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt012 all valid points. the rose joints on the new set up will be only for steering component conection, (track rod ends) and will have the all weather gaiter fitted and non moisture absorbing lube in them. i have had rose joints fitted to my car for the past five years and have no issues using the gaiters :smt012 :smt012