It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: build plans??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:33 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

hi all, i am new to the covin website....purchased a covin 911 convertible a few weeks back and want to restore it(to a good standard)i am about to start taking the shell off and would like to know where i can get a copy of any plans for the chassis and any other build info from(to build a history file of sorts), the chassis rails are very good but the floor pan could do with replacing, i want to have aluminium floor pans fitted, any help and advise??

cheers rob

Post subject: Re: build plans??
PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:09 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Manual can be found here:-

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2439

There doesn't appear to be a chassis drawing anywhere, there are odd sketches. Is it a Covin chassis, or a shortened beetle pan?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=991

ImageImage
Lifes not always Covin, occasionally reality kicks in - All's not lost, the futures .pdf (pretty dam fine)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:33 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

hi, its a covin chassis, thanks for you reply, cheers rob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:21 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Welcome rob :smt006 to the crazy world of covin ownership wher nothing is ever what it seems :smt018 Firstly the build manual is not up to much,some dimensions in the plans for the covin chassis were wrong,best place to start is in the build and restoration section,people have done many rebuilds from scratch like my second one or part builds. Ask questions we have all been there at some point and there is always more than one way to fix a problem,pictures speak a thousand words we like pics :smt001.
Just a point on floor pans, the covin chassis does flex alot especially when you try an jack it up the doors won't open, the biscuit tin they had used for a floor pan is rubbish :smt013 I put a 4mm steel plate onto mine and it transformed the cars rigidty,if you wan't to put an aluminium floor pan in i would suggest put some extra supports in the chassis first it will pay off.
Anyway i will stop rabbiting on just keep asking and good luck with the rebuild :smt012

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 6:54 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

thank you for your response blue devil...i did read a thread on your rebuild, very interesting, i was planning on putting in supports for strength....as i want the floor to be exposed aluminum, may get the supports welded in and get the frame galvanized...cheers rob