It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:16 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:08 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

:smt006
Hi, my name is Paul, and ive owned/built a Covin many years ago, and like many others im sure, regretted selling it!
1992 i think it was, i spotted an advert in Which kit? Bought an unstarted project, and set about building the 911 replica.
Took me about 2 years in all, and thats without the internet!
I did all the work myself, excluding the respray which i entrusted to a local firm run by Fred Lloyd (now has a major franchise dealing in the repair of all the top class cars) Very expensive, but worth it.
I had a ford XR2 engine in the rear, and a full leather trim, but not from a Porsche, the rears were simple enough to copy, and the front believe it or not were from a Lada which had the same basic high back shape, and i had them covered in the same stitch pattern as a 911 by local trimmer Richie (sadly no longer with us)
At the time, the car was really something to behold, but looking at some of the ones at a recent show,the quality was amazing and seems worlds apart from my attempt, but as i say, try building one without all the info available on the internet, and without 35 or so 911 interiors available on EBay and i must pat myself on the back! :smt008
I had built a few other kits, and had an artical printed in Which Kit, and a really nice piece on the Covin, which i treasure as one of my best achievments (apart from the kids) to date!!
To say how nice my car was, i sold it for £10,000 in 1994.
Would i have another?
YES, id love one, but i dont have the energy to build one now, but if one came up needing work, i might be interested. :smt012

Post subject: re post
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:43 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt006 hi Paul, great story mate , have you seen anything of your car again do you remember the reg it might be on here somwhere, ??? you never know you might be able to buy it again and rekindle old pasts :smt003 :smt003 its a shame a lot of these cars remain in the unfinished state and are sold before completion as only then do you realy appreciate your hard toil well spent :smt012 :smt012 hope to see you at show or two Paul. and keep your eyes open you never know what might pop up :smt012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:02 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Hello Paul, have you checked the registry? Maybe you can spot your car in there. Here's a link: http://www.covin.co.uk/covinforum/index.php?c=4

The Award

Have a break (down), have a Kit Car.

Post subject: Re: Hello everyone!
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:26 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

I have the "Which kit " mag in the loft somewhere! i recall the high price i obtained relied on my supplying it with the cherished reg number off my A35 saloon, so i think its VRK 324.
The guy i sold it to bought it for his (very fit) girlfriend, and at Stonleigh kit car show a year after id sold it, he was displaying it in one of the halls, and asked me to have a look round it and say if hed kept it in good order? Bit strange i thought, but i examined the car, and complimented him on keeping it pristine. "glad you said that Paul" he said, cos all the passenger side has been replaced and the car whilst under repair had been left in the oven to cure the 2pac paint - only too long!! The gel coat had started to ripple, and resulted in a major repair for the insurance company!!!
I was pleased to see the car, but as ive said, it wouldnt hold a candle to some of the guys on here.
Although id built a few kits before, im a bit of a lone horse, and most of what i do , i do by myself, and probably technically, could have been done differently if you see what i mean.
id have loved the advice and expertiese offered by this forum, but the best i could hope for was the next issue of "Which kit"
Id love to build one for my son aged 25, but i dont think the insurance would be cheap enough for him as hes recently had a major claim against him when he wrote his Corsa off, and i think at 52, the wife would put me down as having a mid life crissis :smt003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:58 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Paul, Hi its Paul here too!!!. For you and all those prospective Covin buyers/ builders out there I have a lovely one which I would sell for only 10k . Modern C2 body kit, professional build/ metallic paint job, Subaru 2.2 engine, built properly, professionally wired with no tape or sticky back plastic used, drive away and Covin registered. Why would anyone be bothered starting a project with all the headaches involved with that and the total cost probably exceeding 10k.

Reluctantly is for sale but will be happy to keep it if I have to, but as I need a new challange. :smt012

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome aboard Paul and pleased we got your login sorted out :smt012

What great story that was and it's quite possibly the best introduction post we've had :smt004

As for building another Covin..... All I can say is there's nothing wrong with a mid life crissis. It works for me, I've been having one for the last 20 years and long may it continue. So why not join in the fun :smt019 :lmao :lmao

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"