It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:48 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: re post
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:34 am 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt012 have you had a look at jeff donleys car the mr2 engine car the weight is right over the back wheels and will help drivablity no end, just a thought . as subi engine to a vw box can be expensive :smt004

Nice :smt012

i do like the subi unit dont get me wrong , but it is still a weight hanging out the back, and you need an expensive adapter and your running it through a old vw box ??? will rev its nutts off on mototrways , however jeffs conversion used the whole engine box drivshafts brakes suspension from an mr2. so you will have plenty of vroom at all speeds correctly. for handling and cost effectivness i would have thought the mr2 would be a far better and usable conversion. with plenty of room to make a boot space too :smt012 but we are here to answer your q,s and not tell you what to do. its all up to you mate we will give you our experiances that we have encounted over the last 20 years with these cars. you can use this or not up to you. best of luck which ever route you take paul, but please look hard at these cars before jumping in. they aint as straight forward as some seem to think as darren has pointed out :smt012
:smt012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Good advice from Mark there :smt012
DEACS wrote:
so essentially what your saying is they are great looking cars but handle like a nail so are great for sitting on a drive looking pretty or some 30mph posing but as a 'car' as such they arent very good?

No, that's not what I said at all :smt017

What I said was this....
Covin wrote:
Forget about anything you know about production cars here. A Covin is a different beast and will take big money and lots of time to attempt to get good performance and handling from it. It's just not that type of vehicle and I think you'll be very dissapointed with the drive even after spending a small fortune.

A well balanced Covin with a light aircooled engine will perform quite well and handle nicely.
If you want big horsepower and fit a heavy water cooled engine that hangs out the back then the handling will go out of the window and you'll find it will be difficult to drive at speeds over 60mph without extensive modifications and a lot of extra weight added to the front end to balance things out. This is Fact.
I'm just trying to avoid you making the same mistake that so many others have made on here over the years thinking they can turn a Covin into a high performance machine...... They have all failed because they didn't listen to advice.

Jeff Donely's MR2 conversion is a perfect example of what you have to do to get good performance and balance from a Covin. He used to have the RS Turbo engine in his Covin but soon realised there was only so far you could go no matter how much money you spent, handling and gearing would always an issue :smt012

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:49 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

Welcome Paul to the forum.I like what you have done to your vehicles,all quite original.Original....All your vehicles are that, original production cars.Kitcars if you have ever owned one are a different kettle of fish.The covin falls into the replica catagory , a very good one it is too and it fools the majority of people who see it.The covin kit came out in 1984 ,being a great deal cheaper than the original. It was affordable to many people who wanted that pose :smt004 without price.There are many fakes out there that look the part.Rolex watches,implants :smt016 :lmao theres even replica porsche wheels, turbo cup,fuchs etc.
Ok back to the point.I feel its come full circle.Originally the 911 turbo was unafordable to the masses.Today is the same story.A new 911 turbo s today retails at 130k!!! The original 911 turbo now is very collectable and 25k is a reasonably good one.Thats my point.All the crap 911s are rusting, rotting and being stripped for parts.You pay 15k for a 911 turbo and you need deep pockets to maintain one,ask our porsche expert Mr Turner.So if someone will pay 25k+ for a 25+ year old car it will be driven less to keep it original and some will become a trailer queens.So we end up with a car that will become a rare sight on the road.Most kids these days only know scoobys or evos and ive had some ask me what mine was .You have no worrys with the covin.Its fiberglass and parts dont cost the earth.Its yours to build as you like.Mines tax free and 140 quid to insure and with the golf gti lump is economical 30+mpg..It looks good and amazes people when i say its a kitcar ,especially porsche drivers when they ask me where the porsche club parking is at in the car show and i tell them im in the kitcar catagory :lmao .So Paul thats the covin,yes its a kitcar and feels like one ,yet its being improved as we speak with new front suspension from a 928.If speeds your thing,then you fit what engine you what.You dont have to open your engine compartment to show your little weener if it embarreses you :smt003 Dont get wrong i like a little speed too and have a3 1.8t engine that i hope to fit in future but im more interested in the new suspension upgrade to get handling and braking done first.My covin only weighs 740kg!!! and so is pretty nippy with the power it has but i have a dream :lmao I think one day it would be so cool to convert to electric power as thats the way things are going. You would have one of the coolest eco cars around :smt004 If you want something original the the covin is it.Quite a rare car as only 1000 produced.
If some of my text is babble ,ive not long got up after a night shift,but i know what i meant :smt015

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 4:58 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

thanks for your words of advice fellas, the mr2 engine would indeed be a good option, ive had an mr2 in the past as it happens and that thing was so nose light at speeds over 80mph it was crazy! not a nice feeling. but i can see advantages in using a mr2 engine and box for deffo. to be fair this isnt going to be an overnight project and the bopdywork/interior and suspension will be done before the engine i expect,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:16 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

oh btw are there any pics about of covins with 964 bumpers and skirts fitted?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DEACS wrote:
oh btw are there any pics about of covins with 964 bumpers and skirts fitted?

Yes there are quite a few. Look in the Gallery or rebuild & restoration section :smt012

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Hi Paul, Welcome to the forum. Your obviously a man of many projects, so you'll be in good company with us lot. Not withstanding all the posts re :- air cooled and MR2 etc. If you don't mind the water cooled route and fancied building a car like "danny's", I happen to know where a 2ltr VW engine/transmission, front & rear suspensions, will be available at the right price, as soon as my Covins a driver. I don't know why, but it goes and handles miles better than my Covin ever did with the same set up?, and anyone interested is welcome to put it through its paces before they commit. Just a thought ? Regards Jeff. [img]

Image[/img] Image[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Il post up some photos of the covin i have now secured. its not the bare shell project i talked of. its one thats in need of some redemption but will probably cost less in the long run.

do the bumpers on covins bolt on or are they bonded on? i ask as ive got a recovery truck that im collecting it on but would rather remove the front bumper when i winch it on rather than risk damage.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:55 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, the bumpers are Bolt on and it's a wise move removing them before loading onto the recovery truck to avoid any damage. Unless he has some extra long ramps :smt012

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:13 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

sorry to be a pain, is the location of the bumper mounting bolts obvious? any photos at all of bumpers removed/locations of fixings? ramps on the truck are not massively long so will deffo want to remove the bumper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Bumper bolts are easy to find round the wings and centre section under bonnet. It might also be riveted on the very top near bonnet catch but this all depends on the builder so it's difficult to say for sure.
There are also two support bars that are located under wheelarch, one on each side.

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:44 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

excellent ta for the help, i guess taking a range of tools and a drill will be a good idea then!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next