It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: hi all
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:17 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Good morning People!

Well im Paul, im 29 and from sunny plymouth in devon ,im in the process of trying to find a covin project, id rather buy a project than a fully built ready to go one as i want to put my mark on it.

I cuurently have a 1973 beetle and a 1989 bmw e30 325i that im converting into a pickup truck. ive had 9 e30's and love them! cant beat the sound of the straight six!

anyways ive been offered a project covin for £1500, basically is a bare shell, still in gel coat, not even had mirrors or the spoiler attached with all lights and glass on a covin chassis. its not been untouched really. almost as if someone bought the kit back in the 80s then decided to just store it away.

do you see that this is worth £1500? or is that steep, no engine, no interior at allm no instruments, no wheels. is basically shell, glass, lights and chassis, untouched.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:48 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Welcome to the forum Paul :smt006

1500 sounds like a good price for what your getting matey :smt012 .

The rest of the bits you will need will cost alot more than 1500 though, this may sound mad but you should consider buying a 2nd covin from ebay, a shed, but a shed that has all the donor parts/running gear/wheels that you want for your project. Go for something that has porsche interior and clocks, all the running gear and preferably an aircooled engine.

With luck a 2nd covin would cost another 1500, add 2k for a paint job and you could have a cracking Covin for 5k and alot of graft.

Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:14 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Welcome Paul :smt003

I think £1500 is a good price for an unmolested Covin kit. At least you'll not have to undo all the crap that some idiot has done as you'll be starting from a clean slate. Well worth the money :smt012

Plenty of help available on here and probably quite a few parts as well :smt002

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:25 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

ideal, not sure if your interested but heres a few pics of my other vehicles i currently have. Porsche 944 ive recently sold and the beetle is going to make space for the Covin. the merc estate is my daily hack and the e30 bmw pickup is work in progress!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:35 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Welcome to the forum mate. I'm new here too and I'm awaiting delivery of my Covin as we speak.

I like your other motors particularly the uber cool BMW pickup. I've never seen anything like it before!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:34 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

well it came from the fact that i love bmw e30's and i also like vw caddy pickup trucks however caddys are front wheel drive wrongness! the panel lines of an e30 are perfect for a pickup chop!

Post subject: re post
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:01 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt006 hi Paul and thank you for a super introduction to yourself and your plans, i see you no stranger to hard work or somthing out the norm, which is good. re covin for £1500 well i think its all down to your budget mate how much you intend to spend as a total. then decide if the £1500 shell is worth it to you, as you have lots more to get hold of . be carful mate , do you home work well on this subject . what ever time you expect to put asside for each part of the build double it, the only guiding factors of which route you take regarding budget is what do you want to use the car for and how authentic you want it, if at all.
best of luck paul with your quest. :smt012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:37 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

well as ive had a 944 and numerous other extremely well handling and reasonably quick cars id like the covin to go well, stop well and handle well, i see alot of the covins running what i would consider lame engines and sadly it seems that 90% of the covins are 'garage queens' as such. Im a firm believer in that cars are to be driven!

Yep im an electrical design engineer by trade but have alwasy been well involved with the mechanical side of cars since i was 17, engine rebuilds, resprays, engine transplants ive done it all at some point so im not daunted at all by a covin build at the min.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:50 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

shame, you were doing so well. :smt086

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:39 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

you surely see where im coming from? years ago i had a black merc 190e with full 16v 'cosworth' bodykit, 16v cossie interior, AMG rims etc, it looked the part but was so embarrasing when people asked what engine it had and i had to tell them it was a 1.8 auto!

i feel a porsche 911 replica should at least go fairly well, i can see the subaru power plants being more of a way forward for me than an aircooled vw unit, i like the basic nature of the vw units but extracting big power from them is a little tricky and expensive.

and as for garage queens...............it really is one of my pet hates, a mate of mine has a lovely bmw e30 m3 and a split screen camper............. neither get used. yes they look lovely but they may as well not have any running gear or seats in them if they are just an ornament as such! :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:41 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

DEACS wrote:
well as ive had a 944 and numerous other extremely well handling and reasonably quick cars id like the covin to go well, stop well and handle well, i see alot of the covins running what i would consider lame engines and sadly it seems that 90% of the covins are 'garage queens' as such. Im a firm believer in that cars are to be driven!

Forget about anything you know about production cars here. A Covin is a different beast and will take big money and lots of time to attempt to get good performance and handling from it. It's just not that type of vehicle and I think you'll be very dissapointed with the drive even after spending a small fortune.

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:58 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Covin wrote:
DEACS wrote:

Forget about anything you know about production cars here. A Covin is a different beast and will take big money and lots of time to attempt to get good performance and handling from it. It's just not that type of vehicle and I think you'll be very dissapointed with the drive even after spending a small fortune.

so essentially what your saying is they are great looking cars but handle like a nail so are great for sitting on a drive looking pretty or some 30mph posing but as a 'car' as such they arent very good? Im sure this could be improved by creation of chassis which uses more modern type front suspension and keeping the weight distribution correct. the beetle rear suspension set up is very close to what my 944 had and that handled superbly on standard suspension compared to alot of modified cars ive owned/built.

to be fair its gotta be expected i guess. i mean a genm 911 turbo is about 15k+, a covin complete is worth about half of that so a vast difference in performance/handling has to be expected.

im under no illusions that in a reasonably stock form the drive wont be great, i own a beetle as you can see so im aware of the torsion leaf front set up, the camber issues at the rear etc