It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:58 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:46 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Hi guys after a few items for the engine build im getting under way with no rush on them though so i thought id put the feelers out,

First item im after is a Bosch 009 Distributor the centrifugal advance one not the vacume advance one im not a fan of the new chinease copies so want a good used one.

The second item is for the engine so i can test run it out of my car i need either a knackered gearbox from a beetle or type 2/type 25 van, or just the bellhousing so i can bolt the starter motor throught to fire the engine up.

Unless anyone else knows a way to get the engine to start without a bellhousing etc i would be very grateful for the info.

Regards, Liam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:45 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

mc_fudge wrote:
First item im after is a Bosch 009 Distributor the centrifugal advance one not the vacume advance one im not a fan of the new chinease copies so want a good used one.

Regards, Liam

I think you've got your wires crossed here Liam. The 009 distributor is the cheap and nasty one and probably the worst thing you could fit to a VW engine.
They were never designed to be used on road going vehicles because they are not load sensitive and will only reach maximum advance at high rpm. Anywhere below this and your timing will be out, resulting in flat spots, hesitation and poor MPG.
Don't take my word for it. Google "009 distributor issues" and have a good read or check here http://www.vw-resource.com/009_history.html

009 = Cheap rubbish fit for the bin :smt018

You'll be much better off with a genuine VW second hand Vacuum Distributor :smt012

If you still want a 009 I've got one I'll sell you . Can bring it to RTTH show if you like.

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:32 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Oh right my engine just came with the advance dizzy already on it so assumed that was the correct one for it, Im running the twin dellorto 45 carbs would the vacume advance dizzy work with those? Im mainly wanting a distributor to test this new engines drive gears for it as it currently has non fitted to it distributor wise.

I dont seems to get any flat spots with my engine, maybe because i had the carbs set up on the rolling road and they tried various jet combinations before they got the curves for the engine they were happy with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:14 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Been reading up on stuff and looks like the 009 is the only way i can go as mine up at 45's from standard carbs:

This is off aircooled.net:

When the carburetor is changed to something larger than stock, the vacuum signal is lost, so the centrifugal advance units ARE the proper distributor for this application. Now you are lost in a multitude of choices: 009, 010, 050, Mallory, MSD, and Magneto. Which one to use?

What you want is to set your ignition timing about 4 degrees retarded from the point where detonation begins. This setting means the flame front will meet the piston at the top, maximizing cylinder pressure and the time (crank degrees) to push the piston down, making the most power. If you ignite the charge too late, the pressure doesn't build until the crank has rotated some, and you lose precious crank degrees (HORSEPOWER) of work. If the charge is ignited too early, the flame front will hit the piston ON THE WAY UP, and this is a sure-fire way to destroy your engine very quickly.

What is needed is to find the timing point at EVERY RPM point where you are around 4 degrees retarded from detonation under full throttle, since this is the "ideal" time for our spark to occur. Obviously, you would leave yourself a safety zone of 3-4 degrees of timing at all points to CYA in case of bad gas, clogged main jet, vacuum leak, abnormally hot engine, etc. The power difference between detonation and 3-4 degrees of retarded timing from this point is negligible, so riding the ragged edge of timing is not worth the risk, IMO. Detonation does NOT have to be audible for it to turn your expensive mechanical marvel into junk in short order.

I have got twin dell orto's on my bus and find that they run fine with the 009. I have stuck with the 009 as, although there is provision for a vacuum take off on the carbs, I could not be sure how fast the vacuum advance on a stock dizzy would be coming in. This is due to the fact that the vacuum created by one of a pair of carbs, which have bigger venturi's than the stock carb, will not be the same as the vacuum created by the stock single carburettor. Even the various sizes of stock carburettor have used different vacuum units to match the differing vacuums created by the carbs' smaller or larger venturi's.

IMHO if you run a stock dizzy with aftermarket carbs there is a risk that the vacuum unit will cause the ignition timing to be either over or under advanced at some point during acceleration of the engine. The 009 may not be perfect, but, being mechanical, it's advance curve is a known quantity. As I have changed to aftermarket carbs I prefer to use the 009 rather than a stock Dizzy with a vacuum unit that is no longer receiving the stock vacuum signal and is therefore unable to advance/retard the ignition as it was calibrated to do so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 7:14 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Dellorto carbs do normally have a vac take off for a SVDA distributor.

SVDA stands for 'single vacuum dual advance', it has both mechanical advance and vacuum advance which is the best of both worlds.

VW used the SVDA Bosch dissy on a lot of its engine.

I would check your carbs for the vac take-off point which is normally on the left hand carb. If you have one then i would be putting a SVDA on the engine in your car and using the one on your car for test purposes on your project engine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 7:38 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Andy is correct :smt012

It's your choice Liam but I repeat. The 009 was NEVER fitted to road going vehicles. It was designed for use on static engines with a constant rev range, like Generators etc.
For this reason the 009 is not load sensitive and is only popular because it's cheap and easy to get hold of.

I'm just pointing out that there are much better distributor choices and no amount of tuning will change the nature of the 009. It simply can't give correct low rev advance under load because it relies on high engine speed.
It can however work quite well for a mild low boost Turbo conversion, once a few changes are made to reduce the max advance :smt019

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2011 8:17 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

ok thanks for the input guys i shall keep a look out for a new dizzt then. Are the svda ones only available from aircooled.net because there rly expensive or are the old used ones the svda's aswell. I know there are a few vacuum advance one so am i looking for the one with the spaceship shaped vacuum unit only have one pipe off it and not 2.

And what other alternatives are out there then just for referance as i didnt even know i was running the wrong dizzy till i posted this. lol.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:21 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Hi i have a brand new bosch 009 distributer if you still need one.