It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: My New Baby
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:32 am 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Hi Guys,
Want to share a secret with you. Whats the use of a secret if you don’t leak it to someone.
I think its time to introduce my baby to you.
When I realised that I can afford one of these cars I fell in love with a white cabriolet but it had license paper problems and after four months trying to sort it out I gave up and now I m glad I did. After all a Targa is only a cabriolet with a roll bar and a fixed rear window and therefore a safer option
Maybe not the best example or most beautiful version of the species but nevertheless the best car ever to sleep in my garage.
My first and maybe my last as this car will never be sold while I m alive.
Bought as a 87 3.2 model but the figures doesn’t match .I think the chassis no. indicates a 86 model and I cant find reference to the engine no.
Colour is Pruesian blue ---dark purple blue and to dark to my liking but when you buy an old car at the right price you cant have all your requirements and preferences in one package.
Iknow its expensive to maintain and run but if Ionly drive it on my birthday and Christmas day Im sure Ican afford it.----I even promised my wife that Iwill not drive it fast (to safe fuel ha ha ha)Image

Now is the man satisfied or what
They are pleased,and spanner man cant stop laughing ( grandchildren)

Ive been working on a constructoin project that kept me busy 14 hrs a day 13 days out of 14 for the last 2 years so with my other activities like part time farming, constant maintenance on the farm, and keeping the family entertained there was no time to work on my Covin . So I realised that I will not get that "P" feeling soon unless I go this route.
The Covin project is still my big love and challange and will carry on but with less frustration and a more realistic time schedule.
cheers
baron

Post subject: re baron,s post
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:17 am 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt006 hi baron, just liketo say,wow love the car matey. i think the non whale tail look is so cool and retro mate. you have the best engine they built in them cars mate, the 3.2 is a dream to drive and a dream to work on, suffer from very little proiblems, just get the valve clearances sweet and drop the oil every year and dont put cheap parts on it, espeacialy spark plugs. and you will have many years of enjoyment, but you must drive it as a porsche and not a ford sierra, (use the rev range) they dont like less than 3500 rpm sweet car baron, p.s any more pics, love the colour, from the pics it is a 86 model with the 915 box i exspect. but still a good box pal, dont rush the gear change, and recomend gear box oil change to swepco 201. will make it feel much better , are the brakes ok, as the calipers tend to sieze up giving poor effect . easy repair . clutch should be light and effortless to use, also . love the targa mate my pal had one for a few years didnt fancy it much when he got it,with it being a targa then he lent me it and fell in love with the targa top, its absolutly fantastic .
p.s see in your first pics another targa in the back ground, is that another you bought or somone elses ??? :smt003 :smt003 :smt012 nice one baron, great choice of car

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:34 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

:smt038 :smt038 Really pleased for you Baron... Good on you m8 :smt038 :smt038

I think it looks like a cracking car and the colour looks fine to me.
I agree with Mark, the Targa option is the best of both worlds and I'm sure this car will give you many years of fun and pleasure.

I think we need some more pictures of this baby though :smt012

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:20 pm 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

I forgot how well that colour looks as mine caked in dust :lmao :lmao
If I had a real one I'd never get around to finishing my covin as I'd be going out for a blast when ever I could.

Happy motoring mate :smt012

Post subject: My New Baby
PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:08 pm 
Apprentice-Non Member
Apprentice-Non Member

Hi Guys,
Its been a while now since I showed you my baby--been busy with other stuff—
Thank you for your comments,-- and thank you Steve for the pm.-- like I said it’s a boyhood dream to own one ,and I was not concerned which model as long as it was air cooled.But now after we have gelled I m happy with what I got.
My wife cant understand why I m hanging my head out the window when I accelerate hard but then again she s got a different idea of “The sound of music”. The other day I took my wife for a spin and suddenly at 230 on the clock she started doubting the brakes – until I showed her how good that was.—
The car is so good ,I can pull away in 2 nd gear,I can drive in town in 4th gear. Max torque sits at 4700 rpm but I m only using 2700 rpm to do the national speed limit.
But---The car is to dark to my liking so I ve been playing with some ideas ,what do you think
1) To change the seats and upholstery to a grey colour since they are a bid worn out and need refurbishing
2) To change the roll bar colour to grey/aluminium/chrome
3) To change the roll bar colour to gold
4) To colour the Porsche badges to the right colour
5) To change the wheel nut colour silver or black doesn’t do it for me.

Cheers
Baron

BTW The other Porsche belongs to a friend who wants to use it for spares on a bare shell he got in his garage ---in his other two garages he s got a concours 912 and a 930 which is going for 600000 km without an engine overhaul. Must say the man have got taste.