It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:32 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

After moving from the old forum to here we've lost all the posts that were made which is a shame but I'll start remaming every picture and repost the full ROTBOX BUILD again :smt009

It all started by going to Run To The Hills Show in 2005

Image Image

Well, while we were there Claire spotted a Spaniel Puppy and said we had to get one :smt017 Oh well, the day after we got back from the show we got this

Fudge, the Springer Spaniel :smt004 Who soon started to grow

Now this got me thinking... What we needed now we had the dog was a Camper Van to go away it :smt012 Great idea yes, well almost. Here's the RotBox I bought . . . . . :smt019
Sit yourself down with a nice :smt020 And Enjoy :smt007

Thought I'd share a few pics with you all......
This is my first ever Bay window and a bit of a Baptism Of Fire... I bought it In Sept 2005 from eBay for only £400 and for all it's a complete wreck I was instantly hooked. I decided from the start that I'd try to make my own repair panels to make it more of a challenge and so far I've only bought 2 front wheel arches and an inner sliding door section and have managed to complete the pasenger side...... Still a way to go yet though.

There was a little bit of Rot in this area

This is underside of sliding door after all the filler was removed to reveal a nice bit of dexion shelving holding it together.... Nice...... :smt017

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Last edited by Covin on Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a few more pics . . . .

Sliding door had lots of rot around the window area both inside and out due to someone stuffing loads of toilet roll inside the hole before covering with filler which made a bad job even worse.

Welding repairs begin

Making the inner and outer corner section to the door on both ends including the window rubber lip was a bit of a pain to do due to the shape but got there eventually.

Once the sliding door was more or less welded up etc I decided to remove the cargo floor as there was a bit of rot under there. Once the floor was up it became apparent that the rot was far worse than I first thought but at least it was easier to get access with grinder. Someone in the past had gone mental with tubes of bathroom silicone and stuck plates down all over the place including the drivers side outrigger/jacking point which I simply pulled off with my hand complete with a chunk of main chassis... Not ideal really.

4 days of cutting, making parts and endless welding and it looked like this..

Then it was back down with the floor and on with the next job

I thought I'd best post a picture of my Covin which I built back in 2000.
Check out full build diary at www.covin.co.uk as well as lots more info.

That's all for now as I best get back into the garage and get cracking... :smt003

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Last edited by Covin on Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

When is a door NOT a door ?
When it's a pile of Rot and it looks like this . . . :smt021

Had to order a bit more sheet metal to repair this rotten door. Another slight problem was it was bent out of shape top and bottom by 3 inches so that made things tricky.....

Making the door seal channels and lower section near the step was a pain as was the home made lower door skin but got there in the end.

Next job was to primer the door checks ready for paint so doors could be fitted back on.

Progress at last . . . . More to follow.

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:13 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's the next instalment . . .
That rotten passenger door got a good coat of primer.

While the primer was mixed etc, I thought it would be a good time to get another coat on the body as well.

Flattened off the primer and couldn't resist putting a bit of paint on.
"MELLOW YELLOW" It looks brighter in the picture than it really is.
This was mainly to cover the door check areas in order to get the doors fitted back on but I thought it would be a good idea to paint the full side to show up any marks and defects before the real painting starts.

More to follow . . .

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 12:18 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Few more pictures for you all . . .

Fitted the re-built and painted Sliding door.

Then fitted the re-built and painted Passenger door. Very pleased with the fit of both doors considering all the home made parts fitted and the state they were both in. They fit very well with nice even gaps all round which makes all that work worthwhile.

Seems a shame but most of that paint will now need to be flattened back down in order to finish off the bodywork and remove any minor imperfections. Spotted a few small dints that I never even noticed before but that's what a fine gloss coat shows up I suppose and the main reason I did it this way.

More pictures to follow . . .

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:08 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Hi Hun

it wasnt all my fault you see i only wanted the spaniel YOU wanted the camper you just admitted it :lmao :lmao

However im really looking forward to going away in it now, so come on your getting there not much more to go as they say :smt012 :lmao

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk

Post subject: re rot box
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:23 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt013 :smt013 o my god its like going back in time, no not the rot again, noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
for a moment there Darren thought you had another, lemon, :lmao
:smt032 :smt031

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:43 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

You know how it is m8... I enjoyed doing it so much I thought I'd start again :lmao

Here's some more

The new windscreen rubber arived last week so that meant I could cut out the old rubber to remove the windscreen easier to see what grot lay under the rubber . . .
Guess what ? Found even more bloody silicone. This van has been held together with White bathroom silicone. Dug it all out to reveal a nice hole and missing lip for rubber so made a new section.

New section welded in place and ground smooth before treating with anticorosion. I also took the opertunity to sand down the flaking paint on the dash top ready for a coat of satin black.

Prep'd all the windscreen area and dash top then gave it all a few coats of primer. Also sorted out a couple of "Ding" marks here and there on the front panel.

Next was to give the Dash top a few coats of Sating Black. I chose Satin rather than gloss to avoid the dreaded dash in windscreen reflection so hope it works....lol

Thankfully the weather has warmed up a little which meant I could get some gloss applied to the front panel. Several coats later and it now looks like this.

More :smt009 to follow

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:50 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

UPDATE
Managed to repair the door/window surround and scraper so got that fitted in place and then put in some new opening 1/4 windows that I managed to get on eBay last week. Still waiting for a door window ariving in post so that will have to wait.

Gave the headlight a good clean up and fitted new bulbs etc. I've got some eyebrows but their like the bloody KRYPTON FACTOR to fit.....lol... There's no way the glass will sit right so the retaining clips will go back on so I've not bothered putting them on. Anyone else had trouble with eyebrows ? ?

UPDATE

Finally got the windscreen back in after a failed first attempt on Saturday.
WOW there tight buggers to get in... :smt017
Had much more success on Monday after boiling the new rubber seal, the last corner still took an hour to pop into place, but we got there in the end :smt019
Those cheap chrome eyebrows are the biggest pile of s*** ever...lol.
No way would the lens fit so in the end I did some pannel beating to the eyebrow rim to flatten it out more and got them fitted with reasonable ease..... Still think the best way is to go for the good quallity stainless items in future.

Here's a couple of pictures of progress so far.

I wish the drivers side looked like that as well... :smt022
Work is now going to grind to a halt on the Van for a few weeks as It's time to get the Covin ready for Stoneleigh show 30th April and 1st May....
Watch this space . . . . . .

More on the way :smt012

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Last edited by Covin on Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Well I managed to get the Camper out the garage and move the Covins form out back and now the Camper is sitting outside for the first time in 8 months and I can finally get my Covin ready for Stoneleigh show . . .
Took a couple of pictures of the Camper once it was outside before it was covered up and the paint colour looks much better in the daylight so I'm quite pleased. :smt012
I also had to give it a drive it up the street on Air-Cooled power before putting it away..... As you do . . . :D First EVER drive of it and all I can say is WIERD :smt015 :smt007 :smt004

Here's a couple of better quallity pictures in the daylight . . . .

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:15 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Here's a couple of pics from when it went outside to be turned around :smt003

Remember this ?
Good

Bad

I know It's been a while but after some dreaded House DIY Nightmares and a few other setbacks, I'm now back to working on the Camper. The Hyde Side...lol

Decided to have a bit poke about today on the drivers side to see just how bad it really is :smt005 Ever wished you'd never bothered ?
I had thought the drives side was not to bad which is why I did the Pasenger side first, but I soon realised I was way of the mark on this one....
The pictures will do the talking here. . . . Let's just say it's FU"*$^ "shagged" :smt018

I pulled the remains of the inner and outer sill off with my hands

Not a good start but it gets even better... Or is that WORSE :smt017
I removed about 20 bean cans that had been pop riveted or stuck down on top of each other with silicone on inner arch, floor and chassis. All I've used so far is an old screwdriver to remove all the bodged up repairs. It'll look much better once I attack it with the angle grinder and my new Air Saw :lmao

The door needs even more work than the Pasenger side one did.

There's also some chassis sections to replace

But the BEST bit of all has to be the front beam, this was coated in very thick underseal so I wanted to see what was under it all to make sure things were ok here.
Look what I found :smt018

The white stuff you can see is bathroom silicone that has been used to fill all the rusted holes and stick small plates on to make it look ok. There's hardly anything holding this beam together..... :smt022
Death trap springs to mind. The beam will have to come out for some serrious surgery in the workshop.... We have the technology... We can rebuild him.... I hope . . . :smt012

More grot and fester to come . . . . :smt009

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:21 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Thought I'd add this picture just so you can see it's the same Van and I'm not joking....lol

Right, after a week of grinding and cutting the plot thickens....
The chassis section is going to be a nightmare to sort out due to access problems so I had to cut some of the floor out and then cut through the chassis and weld it up in two halves so the rear section could be seam welded from inside the chassis section. Once that's done I can then weld in the outer chassis section and clean it all up to look presentable.... :lol:

You can see the remains of the old chassis section on the ground, not much left of it really. Fortunatly this section only supports the drivers footwell and not the beam etc.

Here's the first stage of chassis repair. Not very pretty but once it's all welded in and cleaned up it should look fine. I'm also adding some extra strength to all the inside welds where old chassis joins new sections.

View of inside the chassis where it's been grafted onto the exising section. This was the only way to weld it up as where it joins to the main chassis leg is actually inside it so there's no access to weld or cut without removing the outside section to gain access as you can see.

Hopefully during next week it should all start come together and look a lot better once it's been ground back and finished off. :smt100

More to follow.

Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next