It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post subject: "Fire in the devil!!"
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:16 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Just a note for all covin owners keep a fire extinguisher handy in your covin! you never know. I had a near disaster on saturday when an oil pipe split on the rear of the engine and poured onto the exhaust igniting it,the worst part about it was i couldnt reach the fire with anything cos it was so low.I did put it out luckily by laying on my back throwing soil and grass onto the flames i could reach the rest died down as it cooled burnt arm and hand in the process but it saved the car, it certainly scared me watching six years work nearly go up in smoke :smt013 :smt013 :smt013

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 7:23 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

That's something I worry about,luckily I have a number of extinguishers at work I can 'borrow'....might be worth considering a plumbed in system,they aren't that expensive and would certainly give peace of mind.
Glad to hear you saved the car mate and hope your injuries aren't too bad :smt012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 9:47 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Strewth, that was a narrow escape Paul. Hope your ok m8.
I carry fire extinguishers in both my Covin and the Camper van. Get them on eBay for about £10 to £15 and come with quick release mounting strap :smt012

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 11:16 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Glad you managed to put it off mate. I´ve had a similar situation and it´s very scarey. I keep this clip in my favourites and it shows how wrong it can go even with an extinguisher. Very depressing. Check your extinguishers every once and a while.

The Award

Have a break (down), have a Kit Car.

Post subject: re pauls near miss
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 10:53 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

:smt006 hi paul glad you swiftly put it out mate, and i hope you didnt do any long term damage to your self or the car, it shows just how easy it is mate, a very scarey lesson for all, its ok building these cars but you really dont know, what could go wrong, and when you least expect it, glad you ok mate, hope to se you at newark, smiling . p.s just received my new shinny extinguisher, :smt012 better to be safe eh mate :smt012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:27 am 
Team Member
Team Member

Christ paul glad your ok and you saved the covin.Its all the hard work you put into the car that would be unbearable if you were to loose it.i know id be gutted if it happened to me.
Well seeing as we are talking fire extinguishers i have a tale to tell about mine.I have one fitted under the dash and its clipped in its holder.Well last week comming home in covin after a night shift ,the route i take has a rough section of road which resulted in my extinguisher dropping in the footwell and falling on the handle :smt107 .yep it squir ted a long enough shot for a cloud of white dust to rise from the floor and start filling the cabin with a dust coud :lmao .well i was doing 50 mph so i held my breath and opened the window lol.took a bit of clening off i can say.One of those jobs i didnt do securing it better in place.It fell on tonis toes last time :lmao :smt009 she wasnt impressed :smt003

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 9:16 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Danny, I had that happen to me a good few years ago in my works car. Cavalier SRI Hatch with seats down and fully loaded with tools and gear including a large Black powder type fire extinguisher. Coming home from site and doing a reasonable speed, when all of a sudded this roar went off in the back :smt103 Worse case of dandruff I've ever suffered and the mess it made in the car was amazing :lmao

WebSites www.covin.co.uk - - & - - www.vwkd.co.uk - - & - - www.flat4dubs.co.uk
Image Image

I LOVE RUST ME
Patent Pending "The Ultimate In Rust Remedy"

Post subject: re fire in the devil
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 11:08 am 
Respected ClubMember
Respected ClubMember

Just to let you know the devil seems to be alright just a few wires around the gearbox a bit charred havent been out again in it yet, but i have had it running to let it burn some of the oil off the exhaust system, it also got into the heat exchangers which didnt help :smt013 the burns on my arm arn't too bad a bit of burnt skin is better than a burnt out car :smt001 Ive had two extinguisher go off in my works truck with driving about in fields the mess they make :smt013 hopefully see you at newark :smt012 :smt012

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:41 pm 
Team Member
Team Member

And i thought it could only happen to me :lmao

newark is on at the mo lol.Glad to hear your ok,your covin will have to smell for a bit.Mine was doing it for 6 years with all the oil leaks i had :lmao